Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Snap, Crackle, POP!

OK, well I built up all the other facets much like the first and this morning used a butter knife to pry them apart. It's quite a noisy affair as the PVA releases the fiberglass from the mold popping and cracking. I had to rap on the outside with a wooden dowel to help release some areas. Sarah didn't like that at 5:30AM.

One trick I used to get started was to lay down a few pieces of packing tape on the opposing side of the flange being erected, followed by a bit of PVA. This allows you to tug the pieces apart a bit.

Anyway, here is how they look!

The "Locating Dimples" I cut with the drill bit really help in lining this thing up; glad I took a few extra minutes to do them. That one hole you see was where I actually went all the way through on the drill so I had to cover it up with tape.

This thing will get some bolts to hold it all together during layup. I'll trim the interior overhang down a bit from what you see here, but this is still going to be a very challenging layup to execute. I think I'll have to cut the handle off of the chip-brushes that I use to apply epoxy for a little extra maneuvering room.


  1. That looks great! I can't wait to see the finished tank!

  2. Thanks Alexander - I can't wait to try it out, too. Lots of work before the tank is done...