OK, So got eberyting back together after yesterday's carb-cleansing! Re-recalled the lovely lovelies on how to reattach the throttle cables, etc back together. No hating: You can't have a tight little motorcycle without having the bits-n-pieces kind of close.
Anyway, I noticed something funny about my feeler gauge on the way to following Herr Joel's (aka Groundhog, aka ZombieStomp) recommendation to check the valve clearance. the .002" strip looked unused. You can tell they've been used because they get kind of bent and abused in order to reach into the valve ports threaded into the rockerbox cover. Which meant I couldn't have had my intake valves adjusted properly. 0.004" exhaust. 0.002" intake. OK! Well rechecked the exhaust and they looked okay. I checked the intake and they were too loose. Too loose because I was able to pass a 0.003" feeler through the tappets. So I carefully made it possible to cinch up that last 0.001" and crossed my fingers.
Started first kick just fine and sat there idling with the choke on while I called Dad so that he could hear the engine over the phone. Damn hot however. The header completely discolored and had some blueing proximal to the exhaust manifold. Few minutes and then a backfire and some smoke. I don't ahve a screen in the airbox so sometimes the flames puff out into the filter which is not good and why I got the fire extinguisher in the first place. Time to shut off and hope nothing bursts into flames. Plastic gas tanks don't do so well against fire, nor do airboxes or all the other fiberglass shit I've made. Damn it's hot. Hope it settles but at least it seems promising on try number three: